Even More Things Atheists Didn’t Do

world-trade-centerYet another installment in what has become the most commented on feature of Quick Hitts – a list of things done in the name of religion, from the asinine to the atrocious.

A new law in Afghanistan allows men to demand sex from their wives every four days, and to keep them indoors as long as they like.

Combining Islam and Nicotine Nannies can be deadly.  A Malaysian couple asked relatives for help.  He wanted to quit smoking and she wanted a cure for asthma and a liver disease.  Their four loving relatives smashed the couple’s head on a table and beat them with helmets and brooms.  Until they were dead.  When their 15 year old daughter stumbled on to the carnage they beat her almost to death as well.

In Pakistan Taliban militants are preventing the UN from administering the Polio vaccine to 300,000 children.  At last, someone the anti-vaxers can have a beer with.  Oh, wait. . .

Kentucky passed a law requiring all Homeland Security operations credit God with protecting them.  The law lists the office’s initial duty as “stressing the dependence on Almighty God as being vital to the security of the Commonwealth.”  They’re also required to install a plaque that states  “The safety and security of the Commonwealth cannot be achieved apart from reliance upon Almighty God.”

Turkey has banned Richard Dawkins’ website. Their “science” institute also banned a magazine cover story on Darwin.

In Papua New Guinea a woman was tied to a log and set on fire because she was a witch. She probably turned someone into a newt.

In Boulder Colorado Derik Bonestroo fired a gun into the ceiling of his workplace and told everyone if they weren’t a christian they were going to die.  He asked Brian Mahon if he were Christian.  Brian said he was catholic.  That was the wrong kind of christian, evidently, because Bonestroo shot him in the head.

The Rev. Joseph Illo, pastor of St. Joseph Catholic Church in Modesto, California, sent out 15,000 letters to the members of his parish telling them if they voted for Obama they’d have to go to confession before receiving communion.

Pastor Rick Warren, who delivered Obama’s Inaugural Invocation, tells his parishioners that physical abuse is no excuse for divorce.

Headline: Christians in Jerusalem want Jews to stop spitting on them.  Seems like a reasonable request.

In Saudi Arabia a 75 year old woman was caught with two men in her house.  One was a 24 year old man she had wet-nursed, so she considered him a son.  The other was delivering bread.  In accordance with the loving, peaceful religion of Islam she was sentenced to 100 lashes, four months in jail, and deportation.

Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar rented a Jeep Cherokee and ran over students at an NC university.   He did it to avenge the death of Muslims world wide.  Evidently he missed Mosque the day they gave “how to run over people” lessons, because all his victims survived.  Because of his failure when he dies he’s only going to get the really ugly virgins.

In Pakistan Muslims opened fire on people who had gathered in a Christian church.

Now that Turkey has made honor killings illegal, Muslim women are being encouraged to commit suicide.  One girl reported her father requested she kill herself for the horrible sin of refusing an arranged marriage.

Roman Catholics are whining because they were offended by the time a Detroit Tigers game started.

In the Middle East the pope urged greater respect for woman.  Evidently the part of his brain that detects irony is malfunctioning.

Ayman Udas, a newly married woman who had the audacity to sing on television, was murdered by her Muslim brothers for the crime.

At Queen Mary University in London Muslim students have been physically preventing Hindu students from using a multi-faith center on campus.

A Saudi woman is demanding a divorce because her husband, after 30 years of marriage, peeked under her veil while she was sleeping.

50 Comment(s)

1. @Bobby: You might want to ask true_believer your question about wishful thinking over in the other thread. http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/things-atheists-didnt-do/

He’s on about how everyone who doesn’t agree with his nonsensical ramblings is ignorant.

Heidi | Sep 8, 2009 | Reply

2. I find it funny that there are only 3 of you communicating. Where are the rest of you?

Sirhc | Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

3. We are The Unholy Trinity. What else do you need?

bobby | Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

4. “I’ve still not found anyone who can tell me any real difference between faith and wishful thinking.”

“Disney told us. When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true. So that’s different.”

Very good Heidi.

Dave Hitt | Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

5. Thanks, glad you liked it. I figure at least I can see the star, so I know it’s real.

Heidi | Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

6. @Sirhc: There you go. Dave joined the party. Now there are four of us.

@bobby: What does that make us now?

blufindr | Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

7. The four horsemen, or should that be horsepeople?, of the apocolypse I guess. You wanna be death, pestilence, famine or disease?

bobby | Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

8. Ooh, can I be death?!

Heidi | Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

9. Heidi can be death. My father’s a doctor, it’ll make a beautiful irony if I’m disease.

blufindr | Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

10. @Heidi

Oh, I just knew you were gonna want the white horse. It’s so you. :-)

I guess I’m a pestilence then. I’m sure Ann and pplr would agree.

bobby | Sep 12, 2009 | Reply

11. WTF?

This reminds me of a Law & Order: SVU episode. Here. My most memorable moment in this is when the father of the boy who got attacked (stabbed in the back and had his spinal cord severed by the 8-year-old girl he was bullying) told Stabler (one of the detectives) that “[he didn’t] care if [his] son called her a fag bitch dyke [not verbatim] from hell, [he wanted] her arrested.”

blufindr | Sep 13, 2009 | Reply

12. I’ve seen that before with the Christians being against anti-bullying rules applying to gay kids. :-( That nutcase Laurie Higgins who was harassing Hemant Mehta and trying to get him fired supports that position. She said something like “it legitimizes” being gay. TFB lady.

Here’s a sad one: Charles Darwin film ‘too controversial for religious America’

The film company can’t find a US distributor because evolution is too controversial. This is how the evangelicals remain uneducated.

Heidi | Sep 13, 2009 | Reply

13. Yemeni girl, 12, dies in painful childbirth

Fawziya Ammodi struggled for three days in labor, before dying of severe bleeding at a hospital on Friday, said the Seyaj Organization for the Protection of Children.

“Although the cause of her death was lack of medical care, the real case was the lack of education in Yemen and the fact that child marriages keep happening,” said Seyaj President Ahmed al-Qureshi.

Born into an impoverished family in Hodeidah, Fawziya was forced to drop out of school and married off to a 24-year-old man last year, al-Qureshi said.

There goes that peaceful Islam again.

Heidi | Sep 14, 2009 | Reply

14. Yes, Christianity and Islam are battling it out for supreme assholiness. And the beat goes on.

bobby | Sep 14, 2009 | Reply

15. ::headdesk::

That should put a stop to all the “Ooh! We’re the most discriminated against group!” protests from Christians.

blufindr | Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

16. @blufindr: I wish.

@Bobby: I’m not sure I can forgive you for making me hear Sonny and Cher in my head. LOL.

Heidi | Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

17. I got you babe. :-)

bobby | Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

18. Pharyngula post from today:

What kind of laws do you have over there in Australia?

Like I said over there, Oh My Holy Hell!! Stop this insanity before it gets out of Queensland. Otherwise you’ll end up like us. :-(

@Bobby: If you do that again tomorrow, I hope that doesn’t mean it’s Groundhog Day. :-P

Heidi | Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

19. Yeah, I heard about that. The laws in Australia vary from state to state, and apparently, she lived in the wrong state… We’re actually pretty good about it in Victoria, the morning-after pill is freely available, as are abortions (but they do cost up to $600 out of pocket).

blufindr | Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

20. I noticed a lot of people on PZ’s site said Queensland was weird. Are they weird about other stuff, too? Is it because they’re closer to the equator? Like our highest concentrations of crazies are down south…

Heidi | Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

21. Queenslanders are weird. Kinda all-round weird. I don’t think it’s their proximity to the equator, northern WA (Western Australia) and NT (Northern Territory) are in about the same region, and they don’t have the same kind of whacky. They’re kind of like our California and Southerners combined. Fundy hippies. If that makes sense?

Oh shi- I just remembered that I applied to university up there. :| Wish me luck surviving the nuts?

blufindr | Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

22. Fundy-hippies. I’m trying to picture that.

Good luck. I suspect the area around the school will be lighter on the wacky. Especially if there’s more than one university in the city. You probably don’t need to worry too much about wackos.

Heidi | Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

23. Cheers. It’s right on the coast, though (look up Bond University sometime). I’m not banking on being able to avoid the crazies the whole time…

blufindr | Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

24. Oh, WOW! That is a gorgeous area! Totally worth putting up with some wackos.

Heidi | Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

25. Wackos are everywhere. Rejoice, rejoice, we have no choice but to carry on. (with apologies to CSN&Y).

As for the U.S., yes, the south has it’s share but Idaho and eastern Washington is Fruitcake Central, lemme tell ya. It’s another planet up there. Alaska is another hotbed of irrational stupidity. Think Sarah Palin.

Queensland I haven’t noticed to have a lot of them, they’re certainly not on the Gold Coast or the Sunshine Coast, and Byron Bay is not unlike a small town version of San Francisco in the 70’s. Rather quaint and postcard-like.

bobby | Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

26. Ok, now I want to go live there. lol.

And yeah. We’ve got pockets of them all over the place. Utah comes to mind. They’re pretty much everywhere here. They’re just more concentrated in some areas.

Heidi | Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

27. Bitter, bitter irony.

I wonder if some fundies realise just how funny their words are.

blufindr | Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

28. I’m not even sure they listen to what’s coming out of their own mouths.

I liked the Frank Zappa quote in the second comment. lol.

Heidi | Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

29. Great stuff. Here’s one you should see. I love the irony of a devout Christian talking about how fundies are nut jobs.

By the way, I’m getting on a plane tonight for Dubai, I’ll be travelling for a month. Talk to you guys when I get back. If anymore podlings show up give them grief for me!

bobby | Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

30. Yikes! Stay safe! *hugs*

Here’s one I don’t get. A marine’s widow and son are being denied immigration from Japan. He proposed while he was in Japan. They were married by proxy after he shipped out to Iraq, once they found out they were pregnant. But he was killed in action and they never saw each other after the wedding. Apparently the US doesn’t recognize their marriage as consummated, son or not.

The article says this is “because it is inconsistent with Western Christian ideas of how marriage takes place.” But when I posted it on my Facebook wall, the two most right-wing religious people I know both commented that it was a horrible thing. So who the hell is supporting this crap law?? And if we all agree it’s not ok, then why is it even there?

Heidi | Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

31. Woo! Take pictures!

@Heidi: The laws are protecting “tradition” — whether the rest of us like it or not.

blufindr | Sep 18, 2009 | Reply

32. Hey, blufindr? I don’t know if you’re following the posts over at Hemant’s site (Friendly Atheist), but there’s an 8th grade kid over there who asked for advice on coming out as a atheist. If you have anything helpful for someone that age, the post is here. The kid wrote to Richard Wade’s Ask Richard column and signed as “Alone.”

I didn’t even know I was an atheist at that age, so I’ve really got nothing on the dealing with it front.

Heidi | Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

33. Currently, I’m undergoing some stress at the moment, what with exams coming up and my boyfriend and I having a recent break-up. Raincheck on that?

blufindr | Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

34. Aw, I’m sorry to hear that. *hugs* If there’s anything I can do from way over here, let me know, ok?

Heidi | Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

35. Do you have AIM or something? It’s easier to discuss things over that than this.

My AIM: blufindr
    MSN: blucatchr92@hotmail.com

blufindr | Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

36. You know, I actually don’t have any IM installed anymore. I’m on Facebook, though, if you want to send me a message or chat there.

Heidi | Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

37. I am so disgusted with humans right now that I can barely form a coherent sentence. How and when did people decide that being so hateful was okay? Telling women and girls to kill themselves cause they dishonored the family, running people down in cars, preventing your husband from seeing your face, family killing family? It’s atrocious! It goes against all reason, sense, and logic. I am truly appalled.

mandysimo | Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

38. Just wanted to share some things atheists have to deal with on a daily basis that I ran across at Hemant’s site. What happened to that guy who said we don’t face discrimination, anyway?

Albuquerque City Councilor Don Harris Attacks Opponent for Being an Atheist

Ex-Muslim Gets Death Threats for Speaking Out in Tulsa

Ask Richard: Should I “Come Out” as an Atheist in my College Application Essay?

Heidi | Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

39. (In Boulder Colorado Derik Bonestroo fired a gun…) gun to my head: I’m and Catholic, a Jew, a Christian, Muslims, whatever. Atheism is about logic, and dieing over imaginary friends goes ageist that. so you living for your belief.

benny | Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

40. This religion thing is absolutely amazing. Don’t forget the immense masses that have it in a lower dosage (as in France or most of Europe).
    They don’t do weird things but they also do not realize they have a thinking problem with a half-forgotten, half conscious childish propaganda that blocks them. In Nietzsche’s lingo I would say they’ve unconsciously traded nobility for folk dancing.

jim | Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

41. Or snake oil for wolf tickets.

bobby | Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

42. I’d suggest feed her whatever she feels would be appropriate for a Muslim guest of Camp Delta, Guantanamo.

EvilGod | Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

43. Mmm? My previous comment was supposed to be a reply to another comment but apparently it doesn’t work that way. Oh well, just ignore it.

EvilGod | Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

44. Yes, spitting is vile, but considering that the Christians tortured and murder Jews from the 5th century up until the second world war . . . well, is spitting that bad in light of what happened to the Jews from Christian hatred. Let them spit.

Dana | Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

45. I wasn’t saying that I’m a fan of Christianity. LOL. I’d be quite happy to see it and every other religion disappear from the planet. I was just saying that spitting makes my gorge rise. Normally I don’t back the Christians on anything, which is why I thought it worth remarking.

Heidi | Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

46. Now Heidi, you know not all christians are morons. Some of them are imbeciles!

bobby | Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

47. Some are flat out insane, too.

Heidi | Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

48. @Hitmann – Yes the bible is well published and I agree that it merits a thorough reading, as one cannot truly reject or agree with something that they do not know, But arguably it is just as important to read up on the other major religions of the world as a majority of the world is not christian.

To all those Theists who think that atheists will change their opinion just because of people believe it and so ‘there must be something to religion’ remember this:

A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it, and the truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.

Sorry, this isn’t really in response to anyone, but I read the comments (almost all 600 of them) on the original and I’m all riled up by the apparent absence of logic used by the theists in that thread.

Gizmo | Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

49. Get used to it, friend. The only kind of theistic logic is the circular kind.

Heidi | Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

50. Religions are seething with filth, and have been since the beginning of time. Religions are formed and sustained to create a power structure for bullies, to control the masses and prevent their defending themselves from abuse.

Fiona Mackenzie | Oct 29, 2011 | Reply